Thursday, December 2, 2010

Butter Chicken

This is an Indian dish that we absolutely adore here. It's great with rice and Naan (a flatbread that you can make or purchase). This is my pretty americanized version, so I can easily make it with stuff I have around the house.

Butter Chicken
3 Tbs butter
1 large onion (chopped into thin wedges)
2 cloves of garlic (crushed or minced)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp tumeric
1 tsp red chili pepper
1 Tbs coriander powder
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts or 3-4 thighs depending on size (diced)
1/4 cup ground almonds
1 can of peeled tomatoes
1/2 cup sour cream (optional)

1. In a large pan, melt butter and add onions.

2. When the onions are soft, add the garlic and spices

3. Add the chicken, and saute, stirring frequently, until the chicken turns white. (If making rice too, this is a good time to start it)

4. Add the almonds (I grind slivered almonds in my magic bullet right before) and stir so it coats chicken.

5. Add the tomatoes (we like ours smooth, so I put the tomatoes in the magic bullet too, but it can be left chunky) and stir only slightly, so the chicken retains it's coating.

6. Cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes.

7. Add the sour cream and mix gently. Serve.



For the rice, I heat 3 Tbs olive oil and add 1.5 tsp of cumin seeds and 2 bay leaves. I put in 2 cups of rice (basmati or jasmine) and coat it, then let it toast a little bit. Then I add 4 cups of water, bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat. Let it simmer for 12-18 minutes, then serve with the butter chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment