- 2 Tablespoons EVOO
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 lb diced ham (I use leftovers, but you could easily buy the precooked and chopped kind)
- 2 cups cooked chicken breasts, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 4 T butter
- 1/4 c flour
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/4 t pepper
- 14 oz chicken broth
- 3 cups cooked rice (I use brown OR pasta, I've tried both and like them equally!)
- 1 c shredded cheddar
- 1 c shredded mozzarella or swiss (I usually use whatever I have on hand)
Heat oil in a large, rimmed skillet over medium heat.
Add the onions and peppers and cook for about 5 minutes, until tender.
Then add the garlic, chicken and ham and cook for another 5 minutes until heated through.
Add the butter until it is melted, then stir in the flour, salt and pepper until combined.
Slowly stir in the chicken broth, then mix in the rice. (if you're using noodles, precook them and mix in here)
Transfer mixture to a 9x13 baking dish and sprinkle the top with your cheese.
Bake for 20-25 minutes. For the last 10 minutes cover with foil.